Original post by James Harrison on his SEO Blog
Here’s a list of onpage SEO factors I look at when analyzing a website. Enjoy!
NOTE: Not in order of importance. They all need to be done, and done right.
- Proper Meta Data – Relevant, Organized Title, Description, KW’s, & Robots
- H1 Heading – relevance & h2-h5 support
- In-Content Keyword Placement – Density, Prominence, 1st Sentence
- Onpage Keyword Placement – 1st Part of Body, ID’s, Last 10 Words, Site-wide – Refer to above.
- Image Optimization – Img Folder, Img Name, Alt Attribute
- URL Structuring/ Page Names – Site Structure, URL Names, Folder Locations
- Google Webmaster Tools Suggestions – Verify, HTML Suggestions, Crawl Errors, Broken Links
- 301 Redirecting & Canonicalization – Server Type, www/non-www, Old Pages
- 404 Header Check Optimization
- Code to Text Ratio Excessive Coding
- HTML Validation & CSS Optimization
- Add Blog/RSS Feed
- HTML Site-mapping – Sitemap Links, Structure, Pages
- XML Site-mapping & Submissions – XML Blog Feed, Sitemaps, Submit to Google & Yahoo!
- Robots.txt – Follow/NoFollow, Reference XML
Check off each of these as you examine a site to determine what needs to be fixed.